One of my guilty treats is apple pie from one of the well known fast food chains! Since my sugar free diet has slowly become part of my natural diet, a trip to this fast food restaurant (more like dive-thru for us) is prohibited!
I still have sweet cravings from time to time and, to satisfy my taste buds, I have come up with this recipe. It accommodates most people who have special dietary requirements – refined sugar free, egg free and milk free!
Here is what you need (to make 8 to 10 cupcakes):-
- 2 medium Apples, chopped into small cubes (skins on)
- 2 heaped tbsp of Rice Malt Syrup (or you can use a sweetener of your preference)
- 200ml Water
- 125g Butter
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 tsp Nutmeg
- 350g Self Raising flour
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- Line muffin tins with cupcake papers.
- Soften butter and mix it with the flour, then add in the syrup, water, butter, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Add chopped apple cubes
- Fill each cupcake case to approximately 2/3 full.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes.
For decoration, cut an apple into thin slices and lay them on top of the cupcakes, then brush some cinnamon butter mix on top and return the cupcakes to the oven for another 5 minutes.